Walter S. Mangold Award
The Walter S. Mangold Award was first awarded to Walter Mangold in 1956 for his lifetime dedication to upgrading the professional education and performance of sanitarians; raising the standards of the environmental health practitioner, and professionalizing the individual, throughout the country; and for innovating his many brilliant programs that helped shape the environmental health professionals throughout the world. When we honor those who exemplify the highest quality and service to humankind in environmental health, we also recognize the many in the profession who labor daily without recognition, which is the nature of the environmental health professional’s work.
Congratulations to the 2021 Mangold Award Winner, Vincent J. Radke.
View the full list of Mangold Award winners by year.
The Mangold Award recognize individuals for outstanding contributions to the advancement of environmental health professionals. These contributions include, but are not limited to:
- Promoting the art and science of environmental health through the development of innovative programming, which can be used to resolve environmental health problems in a multitude of areas, including at the national level
- Acting as a mentor and role model for peers and others
- Preventing disease and injury and promoting good health in communities, utilizing the highest standards of modern environmental health practices
- Continually urging others to improve by using all forms of modern communication.
To be eligible for the Walter S. Mangold Award nominees must:
- Be a Professional Member of NEHA in good standing for a minimum of 10 years
- Have been actively engaged in the field of environmental health for a minimum of 10 years
- Have performed professional duties in the field of environmental health well beyond the usual employment requirements (outstanding level) so as to elevate the professional status of the environmental health professional, while preventing disease and injury and promoting good health for individuals and the community
- Possess a current REHS/RS (or equivalent) credential, earned either through the nominee’s state or NEHA
- Have earned a BA unless there are specific circumstances
- Exemplify the characteristics and principles for which Walter S. Mangold stood
- Not be an incumbent national officer of the association (i.e., president, president-elect, first vice-president, second vice-president, or immediate past-president).
Applications are due by April 30, 2022.